Hands down the most overused adjective in the past 2 years. I'm finding it increasingly grating. All I have to hear is that breath of air before the stalled "ah" and my eye begins twitching. "AH - MAAAZING!" - the national battle cry of 20-30 something women. Used to praise anything from a balled up pair of socks to skydiving. There's got to be a barometer for its use.
Things that aren't amazing:
- your friend's homemade chutney - it's palatable and/or delicious.
- a kitten pushing a shopping cart that carries another kitten - it's adorable and/or ridiculous.
- a 40 year old flying down a slip and slide - it's hilarious and/or dangerous
Things that are amazing:
- The Pyramids
- Space travel (can also be filed under terrifying)
- Surviving a cardiac arrest in a deserted parking-lot at the age of 35. (can also be filed under dumb luck)
Using a combination of shame and eye-rolls, I have successfully conditioned one friend (culprit) to curb her amazing usage - at least when she's around me.
Here's a list of synonyms to help break the cycle.
- stunning (runs a close second to amazing)
- incredible (runs a close third to amazing)
Start listening/watching for the A-word in conversation, Instagram comments, Facebook status and tweets - you'll be sharing in my agony in no time.
Next up: Hashtags - Living with an addiction.